what is alkaline water and how does it work
There is no denying the fact that drinking at least 8 glasses of water daily is great for your health. According to multiple studies, when you are hydrated, it helps in improving productivity, memory, the overall mood, energy levels, and concentration. Wondering if there is something that could hydrate you quickly as well as longer than packaged drinking water while improving your blood pressure, organ, and bone health at the same time? It is something known as alkaline water. Let us help you understand what is alkaline water and its benefits.
Chances are you have already come across the term ‘alkaline water’ being used by leading bottle companies across the world. You might have even thought of getting yourself a bottle of alkaline water due to the wide range of potential health benefits associated with it. You can understand it more by knowing what is alkaline water exactly and how it works.
What is Alkaline Water?
In simpler terms, alkaline water is the form of water having a higher level of hydrogen in comparison to packaged water. Alkaline water is good for health. The pH level of water is determined by the amount of hydrogen ions existing in any given solution. Higher concentrations of hydrogen ions indicate a lower pH (in case of acidic substances). On the other hand, lower concentrations of hydrogen ions indicate a higher pH (in case of basic substances).
The pH scale is typically known to range between 0-14. Any substance below the pH level of 7 is regarded as acidic. On the other hand, anything above the scale of 7 is regarded as basic. The term alkaline is used interchangeably with basic substances. However, it is important to note that they are not the same exactly. It is also better to understand whether or not alkaline water is better than packaged water.
Difference Between Alkaline Water and Packaged Drinking Water
Alkaline compounds or alkali are substances including metals, salts, and minerals. These substances when added to water will make it more basic. Water always has some levels of dissolved solids -including essential minerals like sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, and so more.
However, alkaline water is known to feature higher amounts of dissolved solids or minerals. This tends to increase the pH level of water. Regular or packaged drinking water tends to be typically neutral featuring a pH level of 7. On the other hand, alkaline water tends to be slightly basic with a pH level of around 8-9.
In comparison to packaged drinking water, water that is alkaline has a higher pH level. Due to this, some claim that alkaline water is capable of neutralizing acid in your body. Also, it is important to note that the pH level alone is not capable of imparting significant alkalinity to water. Alkaline water is also expected to contain alkaline minerals along with negative ORP (Oxidation-reduction Potential). ORP is regarded as the ability of water to serve as an antioxidant. The more negative the value of ORP is, the more antioxidizing its properties will be.
Does Alkaline Water Work?
The role of alkaline water to your body is controversial. Most health professionals claim the lack of ample research or resources towards supporting the wide scope of potential alkaline water benefits it claims. However, there is a majority of studies that claim that there are several health benefits of alkaline water for specific conditions.
Several advocates of alkaline water claim a wide range of health benefits, including:
- Colon-cleaning properties
- Pro-aging properties through liquid antioxidants that are capable of getting absorbed quickly in the body
- Support for the immune system
- Weight loss
- Skin health, hydration, and other detoxifying traits
- Cancer resistance
How Does Alkaline Water Affect the Body?
Enthusiasts of alkaline water claim that the increased levels of hydrogen in alkaline water deliver improved hydration in comparison to packaged drinking water. It is especially true after an intense workout session. Many people claim that drinking regular water having a pH value of less than 7 will end up creating excessive acid in the cells and blood. They blame the low pH levels of packaged water for a wide range of health issues -including cancer and osteoporosis.
On the other hand, water that is alkaline helps in reducing acid in the bloodstream while also:
- Improving metabolism
- Slowing aging
- Increasing energy
- Reducing bone loss
- Improving digestion
Is Alkaline Water Artificial or Natural?
Natural alkaline water is due to water passing over rocks -in the case of springs, while picking up minerals. This tends to increase the alkaline levels.
However, most people drinking alkaline water nowadays tend to purchase bottled or artificial alkaline water that has undergone a chemical process -referred to as electrolysis. The process makes use of an ionizer for increasing the pH levels of standard water. Electricity is used in the process to separate water molecules that are more basic and more acidic. Acidic water is eventually poured out.
Some researchers suggest utilizing the method of reverse osmosis to effectively purify water before connecting the same to an alkaline ionizer. This helps in increasing the pH levels and adding essential minerals.
Is Alkaline Water Good for Health?
The core idea that alkaline water tends to be curative, medicinal, and capable of bringing about potential health benefits is based on the concept that acidic elements in your blood and body are major causes of poor health. Therefore, it is imperative for water to be neutralized. As such, the body having more alkaline characteristics will turn out to be healthier.
Alkaline water is known to contain four essential minerals that are responsible for contributing to the overall health benefits.
- Magnesium: Converting food into energy while being responsible for more than 300 biochemical reactions in the body.
- Calcium: Significant for bone health along with nerve, heart, and muscle function.
- Potassium: It is a type of electrolyte that is helpful in muscle function while promoting healthy digestion
- Sodium: Helps in regulating blood volume and pressure while also supporting nerve and muscle functions.
Some additional health benefits of drinking alkaline water are:
- Calming Acid Reflux: A study offers the observation that drinking alkaline water having a pH value of around 8.8 can help in calming acid reflux. It is because a higher pH level is helpful in killing pepsin -a type of enzyme responsible for breaking down food proteins and a primary reason for acid reflux. Acid reflux that keeps recurring can lead to ample damage while leading to a disease named GERD or Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease.
- Improving Bone Health: Studies reveal positive impacts of alkaline water on bone resorption due to the presence of bicarbonates in this type of water. Bone resorption is regarded as the process in which old bone cells get broken down while getting replaced by new ones. Increased bone density and reduced bone resorption will lead to improved bone strength.
- Improved Hydration: Another study reveals that consuming alkaline water can lead to an affirmative effect on the overall hydration status -especially after anerobic exercise, while bringing about a major reduction in urine gravity. Consumption of alkaline water will lead to a positive effect on the overall urine pH levels. In addition to improved hydration, consuming alkaline water can also result into improved energy levels.
The Best Place to Find Alkaline Water
You can come across alkaline water through multiple health stores or even grocery stores. You can also buy alkaline water online or you can simply visit the Booster Water Website to get the best alkaline water You can also come across water ionizers in several larger chain stores.
You can also go ahead with preparing alkaline water on your own at home. When you add baking soda or pH drops, it is a great way to make your water alkaline. When you filter the water properly towards eliminating contaminants, re-mineralized or ionized, or bought from a reliable source, there is no suggestion on the overall limit to which you can consume alkaline water on a daily basis.
Are there any side effects of drinking alkaline water?
Drinking alkaline water is safe. There isn’t any proof yet that there are any unfavorable side effects. Although alkaline water has the right alkaline pH than regular water, your body will still go through physiological changes to regulate stomach’s pH levels and maintain homeostasis.
1. Can I drink alkaline water daily?
Drinking a bottle of alkaline water every day will not affect your body significantly. However, if you start drinking a gallon of alkaline water on a daily basis, your body is expected to work harder towards maintaining its pH level. This implies that over time, your body will start producing more gastric juices as well as digestive enzymes.
2. Who needs alkaline water?
If you are experiencing acid reflux on a daily basis and wish to imbibe the wide range of health benefits of having alkaline water, you can try it out for yourself.
3. Is alkaline water better for you than packaged water?
Bottled water in the form of alkaline water will feature specific nutrients added to packaged water to achieve a higher pH level. Therefore, if you are looking forward to improving specific conditions in your body, you can try out alkaline water based on the recommendation of some expert.
4. At what age can kids drink alkaline water?
You should not give alkaline water to kids until six months of age. Moreover, if your kids are on some medication, you should avoid alkaline water.
5. Is alkaline water scientifically proven beneficial?
There is not much scientific evidence supporting the utilization of alkaline water as an effective treatment for any condition.